The Surface Rights Board is a quasi-judicial tribunal that grants right of entry and assists landowners/occupants and operators resolve disputes about compensation when operators require access to private land or occupied crown land to develop subsurface resources such as oil, gas, and coal or to build and operate pipelines and power transmission lines.

Right of Entry
How to Apply to Vary or Amend an Order

IMPORTANT NOTICE: As part of our commitment to ongoing improvement, Board administration is currently reviewing its administrative processing of applications to amend the Operator named on Right of Entry Orders. This may result in delays in timelines to process your application. We apologize for any inconvenience in this regard. If you are requesting administration to consider your application on a priority bases you may provide detail reasons in support of same. Please do not hesitate to contact board administration should you have questions or concerns.

When a change needs to be made to a Board Order with respect to an amendment or a varying rate agreement, a request can be made to the Board to make the change.  

Varyings rate agreements are when the parties agree on a new rate of compensation for a Right of Entry Order and would like the Board to update the existing order to reflect the new rate. For an explanation of how to do this, see How to Apply to Vary a Board Compensation Order.
Amendments are changes to a Board Order that do not have anything to do with the rate of compensation. For example, an amendment needs to be made if the operator corporation changes its legal name. To make this kind of amendment request, please find the application form by visiting the forms page and follow the instructions below.

Detailed instructions for completing the amendment request form

Section 1: Operator Information

  • Row 1: State the name, current mailing address, and contact information of the person who is requesting the amendment.
  • Row 2: State the operator name that should be shown on the Board Order after the amendment is complete, along with their current mailing address and contact information. Note: This information only needs to be provided if it is different than the applicant requesting the operator amendment.
  • Row 3: State the date on which the change is to take effect. 

Section 2: Orders to be amended   

  • State the Surface Rights Board Order numbers (or Public Utilities Board Order numbers) which are to be amended
  • State the legal land description in the form of Quarter‐Section‐Township‐Range‐Meridian. If there is a Legal Subdivision (L.S.) indicated on the Board Order this must also be included in the land description. Example:    SW 1/4 – 32‐52‐24‐W4M (L.S. 6) 

Section 3: Documents/step required to complete this application      

  • You must provide at least one of the following:

         • a) a copy of Corporate Registry documents evidencing amalgamation of name change, 
         • b) a copy of a complete properly executed assignment of the Board Order, or 
         • c) a copy of any other documents evidencing the operator change (i.e. Purchase and Sale agreement, etc.). 

Note: If more than one of the above document categories applies, please provide all applicable documents and check to indicate which documents are enclosed.

  • You must provide a copy of the licence/permit/approval issued by the Energy Resources Conservation Board, Alberta Energy Regulator, or Alberta Utilities Commission (with the applicable licence number highlighted). 
  • Confirm that the respondent(s) has been given written notice. 

Note: Board Administration requires 100% accuracy in order to take any action on the request. If there is any deficiency in the information or documentation submitted the request will be rejected and returned  along with all submitted material.

© Copyright 2018 by Alberta Surface Rights Board   |   Terms Of Use   |   Site Map
Website Design by Primal Tribe
About Us  |  Application Types  |  Resolving Disputes  |  Decisions  |  Resources
1229 91 ST SW Edmonton AB T6X 1E9    |